Kayaking is a great outdoor activity that can be practiced as an adventure sport as well as a recreational activity by people of all ages. This has caused tremendous increase in the popularity of kayaking. If adults have taken to kayaking in a large way, then the children too have not been left behind. In fact kids have taken to kayaking in such a way that there are special kayaks and other equipments available for kids.
Exclusive Kayaks for Children
Lot of parents these days introduce their kids to kayaking at a very early age. In fact, parents are often accompanied by toddlers who share their parents’ kayaks for a joy ride. However, as the kids grow up they start demanding a separate kayak for themselves. In such cases, parents can find it difficult to choose the right kayak for their little ones. Parents must remember that they get special kayaks designed for kids so that it is easier and more fun for the tiny tots to ride the waves.
It is recommended that a sit on top kayak is the best type of kayak for children. This is mainly because a sit on top kayak is more stable and thus offers greater security. Also, since there is no cockpit like a sit in kayak, the sit on top kayak is easy to get into and get out of. Also, a sit on top kayak is easier to handle as compared to the sit in kayaks.
Especially, in case of an emergency when the kayak capsizes, children can easily get into a sit on top kayak than a sit in kayak. They only need to tilt the kayak and get on to it. For a sit in kayak, kids must learn specific maneuvers to get into the cockpit.
Also, it is always a good option to buy an inflatable kayak for children. Inflatable sit on top kayaks are very light yet stable and almost impossible to capsize. Also, kayaks made of plastic or fiberglass is also an equally good option for kids. Also, another advantage of an inflatable kayak is that kids can easily carry it by themselves.
Features of Kids Kayaks
While buying an exclusive kid kayak, it is important to ensure that the kayak has the following basic features:
- A kid paddle.
- Easy to adjust foot and thigh braces. Usually kids kayaks comprise of molded foot wells.
- Ergonomic bow and stern grab handles.
- A gear strap that can secure the dry bag.
- Usually kids’ kayaks are smaller than the normal kayaks. Parents must ensure that the kids kayak has enough speed which would allow them to keep up with the parents’ kayaks.
- It is always great to opt for kayaks that have a tri-form hull. A tri-form hull offers good primary stability, which is so much crucial for kids’ kayaks.
- There are many kayaks available these days that can be used by parents as well as kids and thus are perfect family kayaks.
These are some of the most important features of kid’s kayaks and must be kept in mind by parents while buying a kayak for their little ones.